India’s Anirban Lahiri posted his best result on the US PGA Tour when he finished tied second along with Rickie Fowler in The Memorial tournament. Lahiri ended at 10-under par for the week at Muirfield Village, more than four hours before Jason Dufner clinched the title.
With this result Lahiri jumped 25 spots to be placed 65th in the Official World Golf Ranking, five spots outside the top 60 for exemptions into the US Open. Not in the field for the FedExI St. Jude Classic, Lahiri will make his next start at the Travelers Championship, after the year’s second Major. “There’s so many things you can push for,” he said. “You can push for the U.S. Open. I haven’t played a Major or a WGC yet this year. Like I said, I beat myself up a little bit because I played 10 consecutive Majors and now I’m not in any major yet. I should get into (PGA), hopefully. But that kind of plays on your mind. You feel like you’re going backwards. “So just have to gather yourself and go back to what you’ve been doing. … So I’m just doing that. Just going to focus on my golf, be good to myself, and let the results take care of themselves.” Lahiri did make it clear that he is intent on making it back to this year’s Presidents Cup.
He jumped from 22nd to the 15th spot in the Presidents Cup rankings to boost his chances of inclusion in captain Nick Price’s team. He represented India as part of the International team for the first time in 2015, but his week came to a sour end when he missed a 4-foot putt on the 18th hole to lose his singles match to Chris Kirk. Had that putt gone down and all else stayed the same, the US and the Internationals would have tied, 15-15.
BEST INDIAN FINISHES ON PGA TOUR
- W – Arjun Atwal, 2010 Wyndham Championship
- T-2 – Anirban Lahiri, 2017 Memorial
- T-2 – Atwal, 2005 BellSouth Classic
- T-3 – Lahiri, 2016 CIMB Classic
- T-3 – Atwal, 2010 McGladrey Classic
- T-4 – Atwal, 2006 Buick Invitational
- 4 – Jeev Milkha Singh, 2009 WGC-CA Championship
- T-5 – Lahiri, 2015 PGA Championship (Major)
- T-6 – Lahiri, 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational
- T-9 – Jeev, 2008 PGA Championship (Major)
- T-9 – Jeev (2010 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship)