Amateur Golf :-
Six top Indian lady amateurs have been invited to the prestigious 2021 Women’s Amateur Asia Pacific (WAAP) scheduled for Nov. 10-13 at Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club in Dubai. The tournament winner gets invitations to two majors on the Ladies European Tour – the Women’s British Open and the Evian Masters while also qualifying for the Women’s Amateur event at Augusta National, the home of The Masters next April.
As mentioned by India Golf Weekly last week, it remains to be seen how the vaccination requirements will be met for the teenagers, who are not eligible for vaccinations yet in India, to enter Dubai.
The six amateurs to receive the invites are –
Women’s Amateur Asia Pacific Invitees (World Amateur Rankings) –
- 20-year-old Sifat Sagoo (ranked 189) of Chandigarh, who is enjoying a stellar season at Purdue University, USA.
2. 16-year-old Sneha Singh (208) of Hyderabad is a three-time winner on the Hero WPGT
3. 15-year-old Avani Prashanth (229) of Bangalore is a winner of 1 pro event in India
IGU Nominees –
4. 16-year-old Anika Varma (430) from Noida, playing spectacular golf in California, where her family relocated.
5. 16-year-old Kriti Chowhan (592) from Jaipur
6. 15-year-old Nishna Patel (689) from Mumbai
Players are nominated based on their WAGR rankings. While Anika Varma and Sifat Sagoo are based out in the US, Avani Prashanth, Kriti Chowhan, Sneha Singh and Nishna Patel have resumed playing on the Hero WPGT tour.
A note from India’s apex amateur golf body Indian Golf Union (IGU) read, “The IGU has received by name and also nominated an Invite to participate in the 2021 WAAP from 8-13 November 2021 at Abu Dhabi Golf Club.
“The team shall arrive in Abu Dhabi on 7 November and depart Abu Dhabi on 14 November 2021.”
WAAP started in 2018 will see its third edition, where the winner earns invitations to play in two Major championships – the AIG Women’s British Open and The Evian Championship – as well as an exemption for the Augusta National Women’s Amateur.